datehistogram + statistical facet: variable time series intervals & aggregates in ES

datehistogram + statistical facet: variable time series intervals & aggregates in ES

Michael Sick
I have a stream of timeseries data that streams to ES once / device / second. I would like to apply a facet (or aggregate) that buckets based on time but produces the outputs of the stats facet on a value during that time.

So something like 5 minute buckets from start_date to end_date giving count, total, sum of squares, mean (average), minimum, maximum, variance, and standard deviation values for those buckets.

Can this be done in the 0.9.x branch? If so, guidance on how and tradeoffs will be helpful. How about 1.x and the new aggregates? Client is not going live for a few months so the 1.x branch could be reasonable.

Thanks,

--Mike

Re: datehistogram + statistical facet: variable time series intervals & aggregates in ES

Steve Mayzak
Michael,

Thats exactly what the new Aggregations feature is for.  Have you seen our recent blog post for the 1.0 beta 2 release?  Aggregations is included in that release.
http://www.elasticsearch.org/blog/1-0-0-beta2-released/#aggs

I would download the beta and try your example there and let us know how it goes.

Here are the aggregations docs:
http://www.elasticsearch.org/guide/en/elasticsearch/reference/master/search-aggregations.html