inner_hits and highlighting

Ian Battersby
Been playing with the new experimental inner_hits functionality released in 1.5.0, mainly with child/parent related documents. It seems to work really well but notice that highlighting doesn't seem supported on content/fields within inner_hits; a quick scan of the code-base seems to confirm this. Anyone know if this is already under consideration for a future release?

Thanks, Ian.

Re: inner_hits and highlighting

Nikolas Everett
If its not in the issues its unlikely that its planned. If it isn't planned I think filing an issue is a good thing - just be super clear what you want to do with examples in curl/gist form. If it is planned maybe add your proposed usage to the issue.

Nik

On Tue, Apr 28, 2015 at 11:26 AM, Ian Battersby <[hidden email]> wrote:
Been playing with the new experimental inner_hits functionality released in 1.5.0, mainly with child/parent related documents. It seems to work really well but notice that highlighting doesn't seem supported on content/fields within inner_hits; a quick scan of the code-base seems to confirm this. Anyone know if this is already under consideration for a future release?

Thanks, Ian.

Re: inner_hits and highlighting

Itamar Syn-Hershko
I think I've heard the ES team discourage the extensive use of this aggregation type, mainly because it is highly expensive. Adding highlighting support to it will more than double it's cost, and I'd personally vote against it.

--

Itamar Syn-Hershko
http://code972.com | @synhershko