local(true) when running embedded

John Bush
I'm starting some performance tests comparing our old lucene only impl to an embedded elasticsearch impl.  In my first test using just one node, I'm seeing ES perform much slower than our old impl.  I'm wondering if perhaps setting local(true) when you have only one node would give better results.  I'm assuming there would be perhaps less overhead this way. I do plan on running some tests in a cluster, and expect much better results, but just trying to get a feel for in single node situations if maybe local(true) is preferred.

 node = nodeBuilder()
                .settings(settings)
                .data(true).local(true).node();

Re: local(true) when running embedded

John Bush-2
thanks, what you are saying is consistent with my testing.  I was
hoping that was the case.

On Tue, Feb 12, 2013 at 3:45 PM,  <[hidden email]> wrote:

> Setting local(true) on a single embedded node will not make a difference
> assuming you are using the node.client(). ES will not go over the network,
> if an API needs to be executed on the node it was "on".
>
> On Feb 9, 2013, at 7:37 AM, John Bush <[hidden email]> wrote:
>
> I'm starting some performance tests comparing our old lucene only impl to an
> embedded elasticsearch impl.  In my first test using just one node, I'm
> seeing ES perform much slower than our old impl.  I'm wondering if perhaps
> setting local(true) when you have only one node would give better results.
> I'm assuming there would be perhaps less overhead this way. I do plan on
> running some tests in a cluster, and expect much better results, but just
> trying to get a feel for in single node situations if maybe local(true) is
> preferred.
>
>  node = nodeBuilder()
>                 .settings(settings)
>                 .data(true).local(true).node();