log4j: Configuring SMTPAppender

Abid Hussain
Hi all,

I'd like to configure a smtpappender in logging.yml so that an email is sent whenever a message is logged.

Unfortunately, the yml configuration isn't very well documented on log4j homepage and I wasn't able to find any working example in the www.

I also tried to put a separate logging.properties in $ES_HOME$/config, but didn't get it working.

My last try (not working - no email is being sent):
es.logger.level: INFO
rootLogger: ${es.logger.level}, console, file, email
logger:

appender:
  console:
  email:
    type: smtp
    smtpHost: my.smtp.host
    from: [hidden email]
    to: [hidden email]
    subject: ElasticSearch Warning
    layout:
      type: pattern
      conversionPattern: .....

So, does anybody have a working example to do so?

Regards,

Abid

Re: log4j: Configuring SMTPAppender

Abid Hussain
Just for evaluation purposes, I tried to configure a simple logging.properties in $ES_HOME/config but not even this had any success.

log4j.rootLogger=DEBUG, A1

log4j.appender.A1=org.apache.log4j.RollingFileAppender
log4j.appender.A1.File=/home/my_user/elasticsearch.log
log4j.appender.A1.MaxFileSize=40000KB
log4j.appender.A1.MaxBackupIndex=5
log4j.appender.A1.layout.ConversionPattern=[%d{ISO8601}][%-5p][%-25c] %m%n
log4j.appender.A1.Encoding=UTF-8

No file /home/my_user/elasticsearch.log is being created when starting elasticsearch (directory /home/my_user exists) and I have no idea what I'm doing wrong... :-(

Regards,

Abid