mapping store:true vs store:false

Pavel P
Hi,

I was trying to configure the mapping for my logstash objects in the next way:

"my_type":{
    "dynamic_templates": [{
        "string_fields": {
            "mapping": {
               "index": "no",
               "type": "string"
            },
            "match_mapping_type": "string",
            "match": "*"
        }
    }],
    "properties": {
        "heroku_dyno": {
            "store": true,
            "index":"not_analyzed",
            "type": "string"
            },
        "clean_message": {
         "store":true,
         "index":"analyzed",
         "type": "string"
        },
        "eventType": {
            "properties": {
                "enumClass": {
                  "index":"not_analyzed",
                  "type": "string"
                },
                "value": {
                  "index":"not_analyzed",
                  "type": "string"

As soon as I updated my mapping with this, ES stops to create the indixies and add the documents.
So I've removed the part with "store":true, and it started to work.

It seems that only the combination "store":true and "index":"analyzed" works.

Could someone explain me, how should I define for the ES literary - yes, do store it in the index but not analyze it?
Or I shouldn't do that?

Could someone explain when it's time to use "store":true/false in the mapping definition and when it's not?

ES version I used: 1.3.2 .

Any thoughts?

Re: mapping store:true vs store:false

InquiringMind
Especially when feeding log data via logstash, I have never used store:true and have found no need to specify it at all. The logstash JSON will be stored as the _source and retrieved by the query so there is no need to use store at all.

Anyway, that's my experience.

Brian