newbie elasticssearch questions

Previous Topic Next Topic
 
classic Classic list List threaded Threaded
5 messages Options
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

newbie elasticssearch questions

didier deshommes
Hi there,
I'd like to know if elasticsearch displays scores for document
matches. Also, how is this score calculated across indices? Is the
score local to the index?

How can I boost terms when making a query? For example: I want to
search for terms "money" and "cash" but give more importance to
"money". My query would look like "money"^10 OR "cash". How do I do
that in elasticsearch?

Does elasticsearch support raw lucene queries?

Thanks!
didier
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: newbie elasticssearch questions

kimchy
Administrator
On Wxed, Mar 31, 2010 at 9:02 PM, didier deshommes <[hidden email]> wrote:
Hi there,
I'd like to know if elasticsearch displays scores for document
matches. Also, how is this score calculated across indices? Is the
score local to the index?

Score is calculated in a similar manner as you opening a MultiSearcher on top of several indices in Lucene (I assume that you have Lucene knowledge based on your questions). As you know, score itself is meaningless in Lucene when you get it back as part of a hit (meaningless in a user sense). See more here: http://www.elasticsearch.com/docs/elasticsearch/rest_api/search/#Search_Type.
 

How can I boost terms when making a query? For example: I want to
search for terms "money" and "cash" but give more importance to
"money". My query would look like "money"^10 OR "cash". How do I do
that in elasticsearch?

If you know Lucene queries, then you will find the following query DSL familiar: http://www.elasticsearch.com/docs/elasticsearch/rest_api/query_dsl/. This is the query API elasticsearch provides.
 

Does elasticsearch support raw lucene queries?

You mean your custom built ones? There is an extension point for that, if you need it, I will explain how to implement it.
 

Thanks!
didier

Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: newbie elasticssearch questions

didier deshommes
On Wed, Mar 31, 2010 at 12:24 PM, Shay Banon
<[hidden email]> wrote:
> On Wxed, Mar 31, 2010 at 9:02 PM, didier deshommes <[hidden email]>
> wrote:

Hi ,thanks for replying to my questions!

> If you know Lucene queries, then you will find the following query DSL
> familiar: http://www.elasticsearch.com/docs/elasticsearch/rest_api/query_dsl/.
> This is the query API elasticsearch provides.

It looks like you could pass arbitrary luce queries to queryString, is
that correct? i.e. something like:

{
    "queryString" : {

        "query" : "+content:(this AND that OR thus^2.0) -other_field:other"
    }
}

>
>>
>> Does elasticsearch support raw lucene queries?
>
> You mean your custom built ones? There is an extension point for that, if
> you need it, I will explain how to implement it.

Could you elaborate more on that?

didier
>
>>
>> Thanks!
>> didier
>
>
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: newbie elasticssearch questions

kimchy
Administrator
On Fri, Apr 2, 2010 at 7:11 AM, didier deshommes <[hidden email]> wrote:
On Wed, Mar 31, 2010 at 12:24 PM, Shay Banon
<[hidden email]> wrote:
> On Wxed, Mar 31, 2010 at 9:02 PM, didier deshommes <[hidden email]>
> wrote:

Hi ,thanks for replying to my questions!

No problem. Just so I know how to answer my questions, are you familiar with Lucene?
 

> If you know Lucene queries, then you will find the following query DSL
> familiar: http://www.elasticsearch.com/docs/elasticsearch/rest_api/query_dsl/.
> This is the query API elasticsearch provides.

It looks like you could pass arbitrary luce queries to queryString, is
that correct? i.e. something like:

{
   "queryString" : {

       "query" : "+content:(this AND that OR thus^2.0) -other_field:other"
   }
}

In elasticsearch sense, this is a queryString query, which simply uses Lucene QueryParser (with extra logic on top) to parse the query string into a query. Within the query string, you can indeed describe the query you want. You can also build your query out of bool/term/field/rage/... queries that you have (each mapping to the respective Lucene query). Check the query DSL.
 

>
>>
>> Does elasticsearch support raw lucene queries?
>
> You mean your custom built ones? There is an extension point for that, if
> you need it, I will explain how to implement it.

Could you elaborate more on that?

Depends. Do you want to use a custom Lucene Query that you wrote and you did not find at the query DSL?
 

didier
>
>>
>> Thanks!
>> didier
>
>

Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: newbie elasticssearch questions

didier deshommes
On Fri, Apr 2, 2010 at 4:47 AM, Shay Banon <[hidden email]> wrote:

> On Fri, Apr 2, 2010 at 7:11 AM, didier deshommes <[hidden email]> wrote:
>>
>> On Wed, Mar 31, 2010 at 12:24 PM, Shay Banon
>> <[hidden email]> wrote:
>> > On Wxed, Mar 31, 2010 at 9:02 PM, didier deshommes <[hidden email]>
>> > wrote:
>>
>> Hi ,thanks for replying to my questions!
>
> No problem. Just so I know how to answer my questions, are you familiar with
> Lucene?

Yes I am.

>
>>
>> > If you know Lucene queries, then you will find the following query DSL
>> >
>> > familiar: http://www.elasticsearch.com/docs/elasticsearch/rest_api/query_dsl/.
>> > This is the query API elasticsearch provides.
>>
>> It looks like you could pass arbitrary luce queries to queryString, is
>> that correct? i.e. something like:
>>
>> {
>>    "queryString" : {
>>
>>        "query" : "+content:(this AND that OR thus^2.0) -other_field:other"
>>    }
>> }
>
> In elasticsearch sense, this is a queryString query, which simply uses
> Lucene QueryParser (with extra logic on top) to parse the query string into
> a query. Within the query string, you can indeed describe the query you
> want. You can also build your query out of bool/term/field/rage/... queries
> that you have (each mapping to the respective Lucene query). Check the query
> DSL.

Cool, I think that answers my question :)

didier