percolator in elastic search

paul
Hi ,

I am a new elastic search user , I was going through the documentation of percolator API. had couple of questions.

1. What is the use of this functionality in real world any example of its usage.
2. generally we query and get relevant data and use the data. here we get what query the data matches what's the use of it.

Regards
Avinash

Re: percolator in elastic search

Luca Cavanna
Hi,
you can start reading this blog: http://www.elasticsearch.org/blog/percolator/ .
These slides should be interesting as well, as they contain usecases for the percolator: https://speakerdeck.com/javanna/whats-new-in-percolator .

One of the usecases is for instance to register users interests and be able to notify users as soon as a new interesting document comes in. Users interest would be represented as elasticsearch queries and stored in elasticsearch. Each new document would be percolated in order to know which users are interested in it, and notify them. This is pretty much an example of the alerting usecase. You can find in the slides other two usecases for the percolator though.

Cheers
Luca

On Thursday, October 17, 2013 1:10:38 PM UTC+2, paul wrote:
Hi ,

I am a new elastic search user , I was going through the documentation of percolator API. had couple of questions.

1. What is the use of this functionality in real world any example of its usage.
2. generally we query and get relevant data and use the data. here we get what query the data matches what's the use of it.

Regards
Avinash

Re: percolator in elastic search

paul
Hi Luca,

Thank you for the reply , the "user interests"example in the mail made lot of things clear.Thank you once again

regards
Avinash