performance of one query in two index of different size

performance of one query in two index of different size

Wang Yong
Hi there,
Is there any different of query performance in index with different size? I mean, if there are two index, one is very small while the other is a pretty big one, and both of these two share the same map. The query is to search some word in docs indexed in last 10 minutes. If the numbers of hits of two query are same, in such situation, the performance of query is same or not?

Thanks!

Alan

Re: performance of one query in two index of different size

Adrien Grand-2
There are too many moving parts to give an accurate answer: smaller indexes tend to play better with the filesystem cache, etc. The only way to know is to test it on your own hardware. However, on average, I would expect the query on the bigger index to be only slightly slower than on the smaller one.

--
Adrien Grand