"unknown property" error on latest release, didn't used to happen

"unknown property" error on latest release, didn't used to happen

Jason-6
Hi folks,

I just updated to 0.20.6 and I'm getting the following exception that I didn't used to get:

org.elasticsearch.ElasticSearchIllegalArgumentException: unknown property [badv]
 at org
.elasticsearch.index.mapper.core.StringFieldMapper.parseCreateField(StringFieldMapper.java:276)
 at org
.elasticsearch.index.mapper.core.StringFieldMapper.parseCreateField(StringFieldMapper.java:46)
 at org
.elasticsearch.index.mapper.core.AbstractFieldMapper.parse(AbstractFieldMapper.java:307)

This "badv" property is a particular field in the document that is not explicitly defined in the schema, but there are a bunch of fields that fall into this category so I have the following in my schema:

'dynamic_templates': [

{

'all_fields': {

'match': '*',

'mapping': {

'type': 'string'

],

Previously this would catch any field in the doc that was not explicitly defined in the schema and just index it as a string.  Now I seems to not be working.

Any idea why I would now be getting this error?

(P.S. I upgraded from 0.19.12 because of an NPE within ES so can't really go back)

Both the schema and the document being indexed are attached.

schema.txt (9K) Download Attachment
to_be_indexed.json (6K) Download Attachment

Re: "unknown property" error on latest release, didn't used to happen

Jason-6
Looks like this was introduced as a result of this issue:

But in my case I have a fresh index with 0 documents and I get this error on the very first attempt to index.

On Monday, April 15, 2013 2:35:29 PM UTC-7, Jason wrote:
[...]

OK.. I have a simple test case to reproduce:

curl -XDELETE "http://localhost:9200/test/"

curl -XPUT "http://localhost:9200/test/"

curl -XPUT http://localhost:9200/test/test/_mapping -d '
{

"test": {

"dynamic_templates": [

{

"all_fields": {

"match": "*",

"mapping": {

"type": "string"

],

"properties": {

"meta": {

"type": "object",

"properties": {

"timestamp": {

"store": "yes",

"type": "date"

},

"foo": {

"type": "object",

"properties": {

"bar": {

"index": "not_analyzed",

"store": "yes",

"type": "string"

}'

curl -XPUT http://localhost:9200/test/test/1 -d '
{

"meta": [{

"timestamp": 1234567890,

"foo": {

"bar" : "Hello World"

},

"fruits" : {

"canned": {

"orchard" : ["Apples", "Oranges", "Peaches"]

}]
}'

This results in:

{

"error": "MapperParsingException[Failed to parse [meta.fruits]]; nested: ElasticSearchIllegalArgumentException[unknown property [canned]]; ",

"status": 400
}

[...]

Jason-5
Issue logged (and replied to) here: