real one shot jdbc river

Abid Hussain
Hi all,

we run a jdbc river once per night for a complete recreation of our index.

The river - once it has been created - will run again after a restart of elasticsearch cluster (single node cluster). But what we try to achieve is a one shot river, which isn't being re-run after restart of cluster.

Naturally we can trigger an event (e.g. as a cronjob) which - after the estimated end of river run - deletes the river again. But this results in additional efforts.

The easiest strategy may be do delete the river right away after creating it. But I suppose in this case the running river would be stopped...?

My question is: what is the best way to create a one shot river which is not being re-run after restart of cluster?

I noticed the oneshot strategy but didn't find any documentation in https://github.com/jprante/elasticsearch-river-jdbc/wiki/Strategies.

Any help would be appreciated.

Regards,

Abid

Re: real one shot jdbc river

Abid Hussain
So I tried the oneshot strategy with no success. The river is being rerun after restart of cluster.

I noticed the oneshot strategy but didn't find any documentation in <a href="https://github.com/jprante/elasticsearch-river-jdbc/wiki/Strategies" target="_blank" rel="nofollow" onmousedown="this.href='https://www.google.com/url?q\75https%3A%2F%2Fgithub.com%2Fjprante%2Felasticsearch-river-jdbc%2Fwiki%2FStrategies\46sa\75D\46sntz\0751\46usg\75AFQjCNGXP-8mQTi4_X16JDZEwnKsAy0jCg';return true;" onclick="this.href='https://www.google.com/url?q\75https%3A%2F%2Fgithub.com%2Fjprante%2Felasticsearch-river-jdbc%2Fwiki%2FStrategies\46sa\75D\46sntz\0751\46usg\75AFQjCNGXP-8mQTi4_X16JDZEwnKsAy0jCg';return true;">https://github.com/jprante/elasticsearch-river-jdbc/wiki/Strategies.

Any help would be appreciated.

Regards,

Abid

Re: real one shot jdbc river

joergprante@gmail.com
Yes, a river instance is restarted by ES automatically at node restart. You must delete it after work is done in order to free resources.

Just a note, in future versions, I will drop the ES river API, and the JDBC plugin will manage an internal state, where the number of execution cycles can be configured.

Jörg