update settings api ignoring index.refresh_interval

update settings api ignoring index.refresh_interval

Telvis Calhoun Jr.
I see the following in the logs when I attempt to update the refresh settings for an index. I'm running "0.20.1". Isn't index.refresh_interval configurable?

 [2013-02-20 16:12:59,115][WARN ][cluster.metadata         ] [] [] ignoring non dynamic index level settings for open indices: [index.refresh_interval]

Re: update settings api ignoring index.refresh_interval

Drew Raines-2
Telvis Calhoun Jr. wrote:

> I see the following in the logs when I attempt to update the refresh
> settings for an index. I'm running "0.20.1". Isn't
> index.refresh_interval configurable?

It is configurable.  What command are you running?

> [2013-02-20 16:12:59,115][WARN ][cluster.metadata ] [] [] ignoring non
> dynamic index level settings for open indices:
> [index.refresh_interval]

-Drew

Re: update settings api ignoring index.refresh_interval

Telvis Calhoun Jr.
curl -XPUT hostname:9200/index-20130220/_settings -d '{
        "refresh_interval" : "10s"
    }
}'

The current setting is 900s which is specified in an index template. The update works on my test box but it fails on our larger cluster. The only other update setting I've done is to set index.routing.allocation.total_shards_per_node to 2 - which worked fine.

On Wednesday, February 20, 2013 4:49:40 PM UTC-5, Drew Raines wrote:
Telvis Calhoun Jr. wrote:

> I see the following in the logs when I attempt to update the refresh
> settings for an index. I'm running "0.20.1". Isn't
> index.refresh_interval configurable?

It is configurable.  What command are you running?

> [2013-02-20 16:12:59,115][WARN ][cluster.metadata ] [] [] ignoring non
> dynamic index level settings for open indices:
> [index.refresh_interval]

-Drew

Re: update settings api ignoring index.refresh_interval

Telvis Calhoun Jr.
Just to follow up. On my local 1-node cluster test I see a log "index.shard.service updating refresh_interval from [15m] to [10s]" but on the cluster I only see the cluster.metadata error. My setup has designated 'master' nodes with data=false, master=true and 'data' nodes with data=true, master=false. I'm send the request to a master. The data nodes have rivers enabled for ingest. The masters have river=_none_. I tried restarting all the nodes in cluster but that didn't fix it.

The cluster state is GREEN and its indexing data fine.

Telvis Calhoun Jr. wrote:

> I see the following in the logs when I attempt to update the refresh
> settings for an index. I'm running "0.20.1". Isn't
> index.refresh_interval configurable?

It is configurable.  What command are you running?

> [2013-02-20 16:12:59,115][WARN ][cluster.metadata ] [] [] ignoring non
> dynamic index level settings for open indices:
> [index.refresh_interval]

-Drew

Telvis Calhoun Jr. wrote:

> [...]

[...]

>> curl -XPUT hostname:9200/index-20130220/_settings -d '{
>>         "refresh_interval" : "10s"
>>     }
>> }'

This command should work fine (and clearly does on your local
machine).  I'm not quite sure how you're getting the warning, or why
it was thinking the index name was `index.refresh_interval', but
Martijn fixed a bug[1] in that exact section of code a couple weeks
ago.  Any chance you can upgrade to 0.20.5 and see if it helps?

-Drew

Footnotes:
[1]  https://github.com/elasticsearch/elasticsearch/issues/2647

Re: update settings api ignoring index.refresh_interval

Telvis Calhoun Jr.
I'll upgrade and get back to you. Thank you for your help.

I can see how this might happen on a master, with non data node. I will open an issue: https://github.com/elasticsearch/elasticsearch/issues/2675. Its because of the master/non data node.

On Feb 22, 2013, at 5:31 PM, Telvis Calhoun Jr. <[hidden email]> wrote:

> I'll upgrade and get back to you. Thank you for your help.

>> [...]
>>
>> This command should work fine (and clearly does on your local
>> machine).  I'm not quite sure how you're getting the warning, or why
>> it was thinking the index name was `index.refresh_interval', but
>> Martijn fixed a bug[1] in that exact section of code a couple weeks
>> ago.  Any chance you can upgrade to 0.20.5 and see if it helps?
>>
>> -Drew
>>
>> Footnotes:
>> [1]  https://github.com/elasticsearch/elasticsearch/issues/2647

Re: update settings api ignoring index.refresh_interval

Telvis Calhoun Jr.
Thank you for looking into this.