upgrade java for elasticsearch node

Jason Wee
Hello,

We are using java6 for our elasticsearch node of version 0.90 and googled, nothing discuss specifically on how to or procedure to upgrade java deployed in elasticsearch cluster.

The one came close is this, https://svn.apache.org/repos/asf/lucene/dev/trunk/lucene/JRE_VERSION_MIGRATION.txt

Can anybody with experience share how to best upgrade java 6 to java 7 update 72 for all the node in the elasticsearch cluster? It would be best if after java upgraded, the data is still persist, indexable and queryable.

Please also comment about which should be upgrade first? The jdk used in java transport client or the jvm in elasticsearch node.

Thanks.

Jason

Re: upgrade java for elasticsearch node

dadoonet
You need to upgrade both at the same time.
Otherwise, you might get non serializable exceptions and the cluster might not behave correctly.

So, basically shutdown all nodes and clients. Then upgrade your JVM.

That said, you might be able to upgrade clients after that but I’d be super conservative here and don’t try to mix things.

My 2 cents

--
David Pilato - Developer | Evangelist

Le 22 avr. 2015 à 09:14, Jason Wee <[hidden email]> a écrit :

Hello,

We are using java6 for our elasticsearch node of version 0.90 and googled, nothing discuss specifically on how to or procedure to upgrade java deployed in elasticsearch cluster.

Can anybody with experience share how to best upgrade java 6 to java 7 update 72 for all the node in the elasticsearch cluster? It would be best if after java upgraded, the data is still persist, indexable and queryable.

Please also comment about which should be upgrade first? The jdk used in java transport client or the jvm in elasticsearch node.

Thanks.

Jason

Re: upgrade java for elasticsearch node

Jason Wee
Thanks david, my follow up questions.

> So, basically shutdown all nodes and clients. Then upgrade your JVM.
That sounds to me no rolling upgrade :( the users will experience down
time, but with your recommendation, when jvm is upgraded on all nodes
and clients, the es instance in the es node just start one by one and
index will remain as is?

Jason

On Wed, Apr 22, 2015 at 5:39 PM, David Pilato <[hidden email]> wrote:

> You need to upgrade both at the same time.
> Otherwise, you might get non serializable exceptions and the cluster might
> not behave correctly.
>
> So, basically shutdown all nodes and clients. Then upgrade your JVM.
>
> That said, you might be able to upgrade clients after that but I’d be super
> conservative here and don’t try to mix things.
>
> My 2 cents
>
> --
> David Pilato - Developer | Evangelist
> elastic.co
> @dadoonet | @elasticsearchfr | @scrutmydocs
>

> Le 22 avr. 2015 à 09:14, Jason Wee <[hidden email]> a écrit :
>
> Hello,
>
> We are using java6 for our elasticsearch node of version 0.90 and googled,
> nothing discuss specifically on how to or procedure to upgrade java deployed
> in elasticsearch cluster.
>
> The one came close is this,
> https://svn.apache.org/repos/asf/lucene/dev/trunk/lucene/JRE_VERSION_MIGRATION.txt
>
> Can anybody with experience share how to best upgrade java 6 to java 7
> update 72 for all the node in the elasticsearch cluster? It would be best if
> after java upgraded, the data is still persist, indexable and queryable.
>
> Please also comment about which should be upgrade first? The jdk used in
> java transport client or the jvm in elasticsearch node.
>
> Thanks.
>
> Jason

Re: upgrade java for elasticsearch node

joergprante@gmail.com
Please note, Java 7 has reached end of life, and will no longer receive updates

I recommend Java 8.

ES is sensitive to JVM changes (hash codes for hash maps are computed differently in Java 8) but this exposes only in rare cases.

I am not sure what you mean by "index will remain as is". In any case, I would always backup the data before upgrade.

Jörg

On Wed, Apr 22, 2015 at 11:51 AM, Jason Wee <[hidden email]> wrote:
Thanks david, my follow up questions.

> So, basically shutdown all nodes and clients. Then upgrade your JVM.
That sounds to me no rolling upgrade :( the users will experience down
time, but with your recommendation, when jvm is upgraded on all nodes
and clients, the es instance in the es node just start one by one and
index will remain as is?

Jason

On Wed, Apr 22, 2015 at 5:39 PM, David Pilato <[hidden email]> wrote:
> You need to upgrade both at the same time.
> Otherwise, you might get non serializable exceptions and the cluster might
> not behave correctly.
>
> So, basically shutdown all nodes and clients. Then upgrade your JVM.
>
> That said, you might be able to upgrade clients after that but I’d be super
> conservative here and don’t try to mix things.
>
> My 2 cents
>
> --
> David Pilato - Developer | Evangelist
> elastic.co
> @dadoonet | @elasticsearchfr | @scrutmydocs
>

> Le 22 avr. 2015 à 09:14, Jason Wee <[hidden email]> a écrit :
>
> Hello,
>
> We are using java6 for our elasticsearch node of version 0.90 and googled,
> nothing discuss specifically on how to or procedure to upgrade java deployed
> in elasticsearch cluster.
>
> The one came close is this,
> https://svn.apache.org/repos/asf/lucene/dev/trunk/lucene/JRE_VERSION_MIGRATION.txt
>
> Can anybody with experience share how to best upgrade java 6 to java 7
> update 72 for all the node in the elasticsearch cluster? It would be best if
> after java upgraded, the data is still persist, indexable and queryable.
>
> Please also comment about which should be upgrade first? The jdk used in
> java transport client or the jvm in elasticsearch node.
>
> Thanks.
>
> Jason

Re: upgrade java for elasticsearch node

Jason Wee
Thank Jörg, fully aware of Java 7 eol.

Index will remain as is as in, after java upgraded to 7 for all nodes,
client can query/index without any problem. If internally lucene index
need to upgrade, so be it, everything just okay. That was what I mean.

Well yea, backup is very important too, that's plan B.

Jason

On Wed, Apr 22, 2015 at 5:59 PM, [hidden email]
<[hidden email]> wrote:

> [...]
>> >

>> > Le 22 avr. 2015 à 09:14, Jason Wee <[hidden email]> a écrit :
>> >
>> > Hello,
>> >
>> > We are using java6 for our elasticsearch node of version 0.90 and
>> > googled,
>> > nothing discuss specifically on how to or procedure to upgrade java
>> > deployed
>> > in elasticsearch cluster.
>> >
>> > The one came close is this,
>> >
>> > https://svn.apache.org/repos/asf/lucene/dev/trunk/lucene/JRE_VERSION_MIGRATION.txt
>> >
>> > Can anybody with experience share how to best upgrade java 6 to java 7
>> > update 72 for all the node in the elasticsearch cluster? It would be
>> > best if
>> > after java upgraded, the data is still persist, indexable and queryable.
>> >
>> > Please also comment about which should be upgrade first? The jdk used in
>> > java transport client or the jvm in elasticsearch node.

Hey David,

Did a few tests in test cluster, well yea, just like what you have mentioned. Stumble on TransportSerializationException during index query.

org.elasticsearch.transport.TransportSerializationException: Failed to deserialize exception response from stream\n\tat org.elasticsearch.transport.netty.MessageChannelHandler.handlerResponseError(MessageChannelHandler.java:169)

It's a pity, I guess we have to upgrade the elasticsearch client java version as well.

On another node, upgrading java in elasticsearch node require full shutdown on all es nodes, do the java upgrade and start one by one.. No such thing as rolling upgrading.

Jason